The digital age has dramatically changed the way every business operates – even tradies! You probably already know how important it is to a have a website for your business, that you can use social media and other digital channels to get your business ‘out there’, and that there are apps and other things you can use to run your business or work more efficiently as a tradie on site and on the go. But you may not have had time to find out ‘what is out there’, how to get started, what the tried and tested systems are and who is already using them.
Come along to our first ever Digital Toolbox for Tradies Sundowner Session and enjoy a few cold brews while you hear from a fellow tradie who has already ‘gone digital’ and a local digital specialist who is helping many Sunshine Coast businesses save time and money through the use of online tools in their business. All of the information will be shared in a fun, easy to understand and non-technical way.
This two hour session is designed to specifically help tradies learn more about the technology available to them and how to implement it into their business. You may be a builder, painter, electrician, plumber, landscape gardener, tiler or other trade based business owner.
Learn how to better service clients online and decrease paperwork headaches!
WHAT WE’LL COVER
- Your online toolbox – the essential software and equipment which can save you time and money when running a business
- Understand what a browser and search engine is and how people might find your business online
- Understand the different online operating systems – Android, Apple, Microsoft & Google
- How to find and access cool apps to help you run your business
- Calendar – Get organised with a calendar which is accessible wherever you are (your laptop, tablet or phone) so you know where you need to be and what you need to be doing each and every day, including reminders and recording key information.
- Receipts – Stop stuffing your glove box with receipts and discover how to digitise every receipt you receive the moment you get it, saving on headaches and hours at a computer during tax time for you or your bookkeeper!
- Get more ‘online’ with your finances such as how to get started with banking online, what POS (point of sale) solutions are out there so you implement payments ‘on the job’, and various payment gateways like Paypal, eWay, Stripe and more.
- Cloud based accounting – learn how software can help you run your business, including your cloud based payroll and superannuation options for contractors and employees
- The difference between internet speeds, bandwidth, downloads and uploads
- Apps and tools which can help you save hours of time through digitising your job sheets
- And much more!
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
- People who are spending too much time on paperwork and still using ancient work practices such as paper quotes, timesheets, invoices, faxes and email to run their business.
- People who are motivated to learn essential business skills to ensure their future employment or business success
- People who have already started playing with technology to run their business and would like to know ‘what else is out there’ to help them run their business
- Apprentices/trainees who would like to gain more skills to give them a helping hand with their career building
- Business owners or site supervisors who would like to find better ways to manage sites, staff, the customer experience and more.
WHAT TO BRING
This session does not require access to technology specifically however if you have a smartphone or tablet on hand you may like to use it to download apps and technology as we discuss it.
WHAT YOU GET FOR YOUR MONEY
- A dynamic and interactive 2 hour workshop specifically tailored for tradies
- Inspiration from a tradie who has already implemented some of the tools we will be sharing with much success
- Drinks and snacks on arrival
- An informative event full of practical advice from people who know what they are talking about
- The opportunity to network with other local tradies
- The opportunity to talk to the speakers before the event, in the break and afterwards!
- Inspiratiional, informational and innovative techniques to take home and try
- Live demonstrations
ABOUT THE PRESENTERS
PRESENTER – YVETTE ADAMS
Yvette Adams is a serial entrepreneur having started six businesses from scratch, the first a newspaper when she was just 17, and 2 of which she has since sold.
She is the founder and co-owner of The Creative Collective, a digital marketing agency which acquired Hinterland business Fig Creative in March 2017; the founder and owner of spin off company The Training Collective, a digital skills training organisation and awardshub.com, an online portal for business owners wanting to find business awards they may be able to enter, and to gain assistance in the preparation of their submissions.
She won the ICT Woman of the Year at the iAwards in 2013 and the Commonwealth Bank Business Owner category at the Telstra Business Womens in Queensland in 2010.
In 2015 she was recognised for making a significant contribution to science and innovation in Queensland and included on the department’s Queensland Science and Innovation Champion Hall of Fame and in 2016 she was named as a Digital Champion by Queensland Government.
Yvette is a twice published author, and is regularly called on as a media commentator and keynote speaker, facilitator and MC for events all over Asia Pacific. Most recently she has been presenting a new show called Young Entrepreneurs which can be viewed on BRiN, the world’s first business advisor in your pocket, which already has over 9,000 downloads from 74 countries.
Yvette will share the exact techniques she has used with much success for her own companies.
GUEST TRADIE – GARY KELBIE
Local businessman Gary Kelbie, of Coastcare, an appliance repair company on the Sunshine Coast joined the Level Up program in March this year after working as part of a franchise model for 15 years and going ‘out on his own’ two months ago. In going out on his own, he has had to research what apps and tools he could use which would suit him, and says the program has been really good for showing him what else is out there and how it all links together, which saves me a lot of time researching.
So far Kelbie has digitised his business by getting a point of sale device which plugs into his iPad or phone to take customer payments via debit or card whilst on site, an online accounting system so he has a good view of his finances and inventory at any time, and a booking app specifically for trades. On the app he can take photos before and after jobs, diarise appointments, make notes about customers and much more. He says with this app you can literally run a fleet of tradies out in the field from the office.
At the event Gary will share the exact tools he has used to digitise his business and his experiences of going digital.
Please note: You will have the opportunity to network with others, so bring business cards!
Cancellation Policy: Should you be unable to attend, a substitute delegate is always welcome at no extra charge. An admin fee will apply for missed trainings. Regrettably no refunds can be made except if the event minimum numbers are not reached.
Please Note: This workshop requires a minimum of 5 attendees to go ahead – if the minimum attendee number is not reached, a full refund or credit of the training fee paid, will be given to attendees who have already paid. Accommodation and travel is booked at the risk of the attendee.
SMILE! Your attendance at events may be digitally recorded through photographs and/or video recordings. Images may be used on our websites, publications, social media or by other media and marketing channels. If you do not wish your image to be published, please notify staff before the event.REGISTER NOW